According to Frank Morrissey’s book Turquoise Deposits of Nevada, this prehistoric site was originally worked by Native Americans. George Schmidtlein was the first individual credited with gathering some samples from this mine. It was his house servant who originally discovered the diggings and shared the location with George. In 1914, George’s son Charles and his friend Johnny Francis filed claims, worked the area for one year, and then sold it in 1915 to William McGaw. Ed Smith took over management, and later his son Charles became manager. In 1941, Dowell Ward purchased these Cortez claims and renamed this area the Fox Mine. It became one of Nevada’s largest producing turquoise areas.